Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The song

Quote Originally Posted by Fringeling View Post
    My guess is it's a JJ original -- just like the show's theme
    Was the song in this ep and the theme song the same?

Quote Originally Posted by cnej View Post
    i check these in wikipedia.
    Music and mathematics

it said that some composers have incorporated the Golden ratio and Fibonacci numbers into their work
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics
    so i think this music may have some connections with golden ratio or fibonacci numbers.

sorry,i am a non-english speaker. maybe you guys can check the detail!

No question that music, math and science are just different sides of the same coin. Ok bad analogy...the same triangle?

Quote Originally Posted by zadok View Post
    Was the song in this ep and the theme song the same?
    I thought it was too! But, since joining this forum, I'm realizing that there are a ton of things that I'm either missing or didn't even know to look for! Like hidden clues...didn't know about that. Oh well...

"There was something important...Oh! I've decided on the pancakes. Blueberry."

I don't know if the song was made up for the show or not, but when Olivia was watching Peter play it on the piano, I thought for a moment she was going to go and sit on his lap

Quote Originally Posted by Fringeling View Post
    I don't know if the song was made up for the show or not, but when Olivia was watching Peter play it on the piano, I thought for a moment she was going to go and sit on his lap
    Ik! She looked like she was completely mesmerized by Peter
    However, later it kind of seemed like she could have looked that way only because she noticed that it was Ben's Song. But I'm going to pretend it was because she noticed how sexy Peter looked playing the piano ! Hahaha
    Because what you see really depends on what you're looking for.

On The Fringe..

The music is quite mezmerazing, can anyone actually convert the music from the show into a small mp3 file? that would be awesome.

Also, Peter can do better than Olivia

Default The Song

Here it goes: The Equation Song
    Last edited by Kitta; 11-30-2008 at 06:21 PM.
    NINA: When one's domain includes the cutting edge of science, there is a risk of exposure to ideas that aren't easy to reconcile--certain realities.

Thanks Kitta, yay the song is so beautiful
    Because what you see really depends on what you're looking for.

Lightbulb

Some more insight on "the song" in The Equasion episode...

I've learned to play it on my piano...and have fun adding my own stuff to it...since there's not much to what you hear on the show. I sooo wish I could for sure figure out who composed that little bit! After going through the episode again online, I've found more specific details as to how the notation of the song should be on manuscript paper, but have also noticed there's no difference in any of the Music Credits, so not much of a lead there. I'm pretty sure it's a "for the show" song by one of those guys, JJA, Michael Giacchino, or Chad Seiter.

Anyway, when both Peter and the little boy Ben play the song...the camera shots of them playing the piano...whether it's the actors who've been taught the song (which is quite simple), or stand in actors' hands...but who's ever fingers are in those shots, are indeed playing the right notes. I used their starting notes to know where to start when I tried playing it...

And yes...dominordelingua, the key signature has sharps...there are 5 of them: F, C, G, D and A. The first clue they were sharps was on the manuscript paper Ben was writing on while in the car with his dad, at the very beginning. You can see they're sharps. Prior to finding that out, I had studied Walter's notes...and boy are they hard to make out! Actually, the shot of when he's finishing up the notes, isn't the same as what he gives Peter to put on the piano to play (they ARE different, with the latter being more accurate with the last few notes). But basically, because of the notes used in the song...starting on the exact same note as Ben and Peter do...they're starting on a G# which is the same as an Ab...and since the notations on the staff are such that it has the melody starting on a G...it makes more sense that the song is written in the key of G# minor (5 #'s), instead of Ab minor (7 b's). And, I do see 5 "things" - and yes, more flat symbol looking, but if they were flats, to be in that key, there'd have to be 7 of them.

The notes Daisy posted here are mostly right, accept for in the base (left hand/lower staff), you're repeating the notes G# and B: GBGBGB=1 measure, repeating. The treble clef notes (right hand/upper staff) are indeed GAADGADBBCD, but technically G# A#(A#) D# G# A# D# B(B) C# D#, and the grouped "AA" and "BB" notes are "tied" together. They aren't on Walter's writing of the song, but listening to the song...those same notes are tied together (so you don't play the 2nd one, but instead hold the duration of the note for that total count value of both notes). Ben's paper shows the ties though in the beginning of the show, when he's writing in the car. Plus, it just has to be written that way because of how it sounds.

In addition, after that first part is played (the notes listed in previous paragraph played by the right hand)...you then follow up with this: G# A#(A#) D# -next note 9 notes higher-E D# D'natural C# C'natural G'natural G#.....whew!!! It's hard to describe what notes to play just by typing like this...hehe! But, hopefully I haven't lost ALL of you! If you play a little piano, you just might be able to pick it up yourself with what I wrote! If you want more specifics on rhythm, let me know!

...whew...I feel exhausted after all that! But it just goes to show you how mesmerized I am by the song too, in addition to all of you!!! And kudos to you Kitta for the mp3 file!!! That was awesome! By listening to it I'm guessing it's a clip of when the boy's playing for his "mom" and the lady who kidnapped him...the 2nd time through, after he messes up the 1st time...anyway, awesome job, and thanks for doing it!!!

Doplhingirl, can you post an audio of your playing ?! I'd luv to hear it (as I'm sure others would also)

There's More Than One of Everything ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast