Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bach - Mass in A Minor

Default Bach - Mass in A Minor

Considering "Bach" was referenced in at least 2 different parts of the episode last night, I'm wondering whether there's anything in there that the creators want us to pick up on?

I believe Walter mentioned Bach - Mass in A Minor - and Peter later played some Bach on the piano..

I've only done a brief search, so I can only find references on Mass in B Minor. Any muscians (or anyone, period) out there got any insight/opinions on this? Let me guess..the Fibonacci sequence is involved somehow?
    Last edited by D-Roc; 09-24-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo

Have you read our Rules and Spoiler Rules?

Visit Seriable.com for all your Serialized TV needs

Liaison

Its a simple key change. The patterns of the song will remain the same, but with different individual notes.

That being said, what is the relevance to changing it to B minor?

Also, Walter seemed astonished at Peter playing a jazz song at the end. Significance?

Interesting..perhaps that alludes to the main 'pattern' in the show, with the encryption key (disk) changing hands but with Massive Dynamic being the one constant.. long shot, but why not

The Jazz thing could be significant - perhaps another hint at Peter being different from how Walter last remembered him (e.g. he used to be chubbier etc etc)

Have you read our Rules and Spoiler Rules?

Visit Seriable.com for all your Serialized TV needs

Dabbling In Fringe Science Dill0n's Avatar

wasn't the name of that jazz song Someone to Watch Over Me?

significance? i dunno ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someone..._Over_Me_(song)
    Pro Patria et Gloria

Liaison

Quote Originally Posted by Dill0n View Post
    wasn't the name of that jazz song Someone to Watch Over Me?

significance? i dunno ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someone..._Over_Me_(song)
    Did you recognize the song as that? They didn't state the name of the song in the episode as far as I noticed.

Observing the Observer Wondermind's Avatar

[quote=Deknor;2949]Its a simple key change. The patterns of the song will remain the same, but with different individual notes.

That being said, what is the relevance to changing it to B minor?

Also, Walter seemed astonished at Peter playing a jazz song at the end. Significance?[/quote]

Yes! This manifestation, if you will, was highly unexpected. Walter obviously did not teach or implant that trait in Peter. It was a skill that Peter obviously picked up on his own. I see Walter as more of a classical music lover. It would be fitting for Peter to chose something else more contemporay and modern. That does not mean that Peter can't play the classics, it just means that his choice is more reflective of his particular personality. I am sure that Peter will display other unexpected traits as time goes on.

Thanks for bringing this up Deknor. It was something that I also picked up on.

Banned

I'm undecided between 2 thoughts - Peter is supposed to be programmed to be more academic and so as previously discussed -the jazz is some real personality that somehow surprises Walter. Implication being that Peter is a clone or something.

On the other hand -if they wanted to develop something more personal -it was the tune itself -something related to Peter's mother that Walter had forgotten about or something.

I'm leaning towards the latter.

Not sure about the Bach references.

Banned

Okay thinking through some more -if as suggested elsewhere - Peter is Walter's Clone, then I think it's either he's surprised he would enjoy something like jazz -so very different from Walter's own taste OR it is something Walter used to play in the lab or some such.

Dabbling In Fringe Science Dill0n's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deknor View Post
    Did you recognize the song as that? They didn't state the name of the song in the episode as far as I noticed.
    no, they didn't name the song in the episode, but the last 7 notes of the bit that peter played goes with the title of the song, which is how i recognized it.
    Pro Patria et Gloria

Tuning into the Ghost Network Daisy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dill0n View Post
    no, they didn't name the song in the episode, but the last 7 notes of the bit that peter played goes with the title of the song, which is how i recognized it.
    WOW! That you could recognize that!!
    Based on the name of the song - very suggestive - I'm sure it was meant to be a bit of an inside joke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast