Thread: Whatever happened to Peter/Rachel's budding relationship?

Dabbling In Fringe Science Fringie

Default Whatever happened to Peter/Rachel's budding relationship?

First post, hope it's provocative!

Something in tonight's episode bugged me and I didn't know why until I realized what it was...

Peter and Rachel (Olivia's sister) had some real chemistry in season 1, and then in this season there was a whole lotta sexual tension between him and Olivia. Is Joshua Jackson just that sexy? Or did I miss something that the writers' failed to capitalize on/change their minds about?

Loving Fringe-Forum! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovehoedowns View Post
    First post, hope it's provocative!

Something in tonight's episode bugged me and I didn't know why until I realized what it was...

Peter and Rachel (Olivia's sister) had some real chemistry in season 1, and then in this season there was a whole lotta sexual tension between him and Olivia. Is Joshua Jackson just that sexy? Or did I miss something that the writers' failed to capitalize on/change their minds about?
    There was nothing ever really there (for Rachel). Peter was always interested in Oliva more, but Rachel was "close enough" at the time. Even Rachel knew that Oliva and Peter had a connection (and that Olivia "liked" Peter)...

Hmm, I guess I just never bought into Peter/Olivia. To build up Olivia as this woman with such a hard exterior, nerves of steel, someone who is always "haunted," relentlessly righting imaginary wrongs (brilliant line via Pater, btw), I found it a little bit convenient/cheap to have her just melt into a gooey, girly mush in the apartment scene.

Loving Fringe-Forum! :)

Hmm, I guess I just never bought into Peter/Olivia. To build up Olivia as this woman with such a hard exterior, nerves of steel, someone who is always "haunted," relentlessly righting imaginary wrongs (brilliant line via Pater, btw), I found it a little bit convenient/cheap to have her just melt into a gooey, girly mush in the apartment scene.
    They have been breaking the hard exterior of Oliva all season.....She started to warm to Peter during the 1st season, so this wasnt something really that happened overnight......Also, she needed to give Peter an "extra" reason to come back with her, or most likely he would have stayed....BTW I dont think all the spoiler tags are needed this show has aired in all three timezones in the US and if you are in this forum, one would think that youve seen the episode ....

Oh, spoiler tags... haha, just being careful.

I don't buy the breaking of Olivia so quickly. Even after two seasons. Her love for John seemed more real to me than anything she felt for Peter. I guess I'll just live with it.

I'm comparing her character arc to LOST's character arc for Jack Shephard. I don't know if that's fair, but to see Jack's transformation happen slowly was so satisfying (man of science to man of faith). Considering she's pretty much the main character on Fringe, I guess I'm wary of making her another damsel in distress. That's how they ruined Kate. Haha. I wonder if I just spoiled LOST to someone.

I just know too many people in my own life who are too bitter/hardened to show any kind of vulnerability, even to those they love. I suppose they could sell me on it with a backstory episode on what made Olivia so badass in the first place, and then somehow show something traumatic that links to Peter being her warm blanket. Joshua Jackson played that part pretty well, though. He sorta stiffened up, not really able to believe what he was seeing/hearing.
    Last edited by ilovehoedowns; 05-21-2010 at 03:29 AM.

In this season opening episode Rachel clearly tells Peter that Olivia likes him.
    After The Transformation (episode 1.13) Olivia was able to have closure with John and I think she has been moving on ever since.

Your touch reminds me of you
    banner and avatar by Me - You-Tube

Yeah I've been following the show pretty closely, so I'm aware of the "closure" with John.

As a fan of LOST, I really appreciate the character development this show does have. Specifically Walter. I was probably in the minority of people who found Brown Betty extremely moving.

Is Joshua Jackson just that sexy?
    Yes.

I think that this particular 'relationship' died quickly and cleanly. Hopefully.

As far as I'm concerned, that "budding relationship" was only there to give P/O some much needed tension. It was wonderful but not meant to last. lol We have much better things to sink our teeth into now!